(L-R) Nate Peck, Jane Kaplan Peck, and Melissa Bullock from Kaplan Construction (Photo: David Fox)
Owned by Madison Park Development Corporation (MPDC), 9 Williams Street is a contributing element to the Dudley Station Historic District, and once housed a buggy manufacturing company. The 51,250 SF building was originally built in 1915 and thus required a full gut renovation and adaptive reuse. Much of the project was funded with historic tax credits and as such, the project had to be renovated to the National Park Service Secretary of the Interior Standards for Historic Rehabilitation. The masonry facades were repointed, which required precise matching to the existing brick and mortar. The corbelled brick cornice and intricate frieze above the main entrance were recreated by a specialist. A historical consultant made frequent visits to the site to perform quality checks on the century-old building.